Vice President of Conservation
Vice President of Conservation
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
The Vice President (VP) of Conservation will lead the WSC’s efforts to secure the long-term conservation of a series of large salmon watersheds across the northern Pacific Rim. The VP of Conservation will work across the organization and collaborate closely with and supervise the Conservation and Science programs, oversee key policy initiatives, and serve as a member of WSC’s Executive Management Team. This position is based out of WSC’s home office in Portland, Oregon.
- Manage Science and Conservation programs in Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Russia.
- Lead implementation of emerging conservation initiatives and/or programs including efforts related to sustainable fisheries practices and population management, establishment of protected areas, grassroot campaigns, Indigenous and regional partnerships, and other international conservation efforts.
- Manage the organization’s Federal Affairs efforts.
- A master’s or PhD in a related field preferred.
- A deep understanding and knowledge of US and/or international environmental conservation policy, and the issues and dynamics related to conservation biodiversity, climate change impacts, freshwater and marine conservation, public lands preservation, and salmonid science and restoration.
- A strong understanding of how US environmental policy is crafted and passed into law, and familiarity with the federal, state, and regional political landscape, especially in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. (British Columbia and/or Russia a plus.)
- Strong operational and leadership experience: ideally has worked in a senior management role for 10+ years in a natural resource conservation organization, with experience leading for 5+ years in senior operational/administrative management.
- Strong skills in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource analysis and oversight, and strategic planning; demonstrated success managing conservation initiatives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Highly collaborative and team-oriented with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with competing demands while ensuring high quality and timely work.
- Comfortable working in the MS Office suite and cloud-based platforms including Google Workspace.
Compensation: The compensation package includes a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including retirement plan match, medical and dental plan, flexible medical and dependent care spending accounts, life insurance and disability coverage. The salary offered will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Vice President of Conservation” in the subject line.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Apply for Vice President of Conservation
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly