Director of Ecology
- Vesta, PBC
- Negotiable, based in experience
- Closing date
- Apr 30, 2023
- Aquatic ecology
- Job Type
- Organization Type
Vesta is a USA-based company and research organization with a mission to remove billions of tons of excess atmospheric carbon dioxide through Coastal Enhanced Weathering of olivine. Enhanced weathering is a nature-based negative emission approach that accelerates the weathering rate of naturally occurring silicate minerals. When ground to the size of beach sand, olivine weathers thousands of times faster than would naturally occur in ultramafic rocks, leading to significant CO2 sequestration from the atmosphere on human timescales. Vesta is a fast-growing company that currently employs a team of full-time scientists and engineers. conducting laboratory and field studies at domestic and international locations. We are conducting laboratory, mesocosm, and pilot experiments at locations across the USA and internationally to determine if CEW can be a safe, effective, and affordable means of permanently sequestering excess atmospheric CO2. For more information, please visit https://www.vesta.earth/
We are seeking to hire a Director of Ecology to play a major role in shaping and driving Vesta’s environmental research program. This role requires a background in marine ecotoxicology with extensive experience in the effects of trace metals on marine organisms. Experience working in coastal systems with benthic fauna is a significant plus. The objective of this position is to lead the design and development of rigorous ecotoxicology field and laboratory research. This candidate will also oversee Vesta’s environmental monitoring programs at sites worldwide to ensure the safe application of Vesta’s core technology, Coastal Carbon Capture. This is a significant leadership opportunity at a fast-growing climate-tech company with the potential for very large scale carbon dioxide removal. In addition, qualified candidates will have extensive project management and leadership experience including management of technical teams.
In addition to the design, development, and management of ecotoxicology research and environmental monitoring programs, this role will manage scientific teams executing multiple research projects with various collaborators, as well as concurrent field trials involving numerous stakeholders. This position will include fieldwork, laboratory studies, research synthesis, data interpretation, grant writing, and scientific writing.
This position will include working with diverse stakeholders including senior scientists, coastal engineers, and regulatory agencies. This individual must thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary environment while simultaneously contributing to multiple projects. This is a remote position based in the USA with an expectation to travel for stretches of time (for days to weeks) to field sites, laboratories, conferences, or important stakeholder meetings.
- Designing, developing, and executing ecotoxicological and ecological research, environmental monitoring programs, and deployment strategies.
- Managing research projects made of interdisciplinary teams of scientists, engineers, and other stakeholders to advance programs and field deployments safely and efficiently.
- Analyzing scientific data, interpreting results, and writing reports, manuscripts, and proposals.
- Presenting at conferences and workshops relevant to the project.
- Serving as an ecotoxicology and ecology liaison between Vesta and non-scientific, external stakeholders (NGOs, governmental officials, community members, regulatory agencies, and the press).
- A deep sense of dedication to combating the climate crisis.
- Ability and passion to learn quickly and solve challenges independently and creatively.
- A commitment to harmonious and productive collaboration.
- Professionalism under all circumstances.
- Meticulous attention to detail in planning and procedure.
- Dedication to fair and equitable treatment of all individuals on the team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Ph.D. in marine/aquatic ecotoxicology or marine/aquatic ecology with a focus on trace metals.
- At least two years of project management experience.
- At least three 1st-author peer-reviewed papers and contribution to at least 5 or more peer-reviewed publications.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
- Excellent communications skills with both scientists and non-scientists.
- Ability to participate in intense fieldwork. Field work may involve in-water and boat-based activities.
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly and for extended periods of time.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in three or more of the following areas: Field sampling, trace metal ecotoxicology, ecological monitoring, experimental design, data analysis and multivariate statistics, scientific writing/publications.
- Strong command of the English language, both written and oral.
- Possession of a valid drivers’ license.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Interdisciplinary background (interface between e.g. biology, ecology, geochemistry, geology and toxicology).
- Experience in assessing (effects on) food webs and/or ecosystems.
- Experience working in remote field environments.
- Experience in small boat handling.
- Experience with complex, multivariate data sets (using empirical and modeling data).
- Experience working in NGO, government, or industry settings.
Vesta offers a competitive salary package that includes equity; health, vision and dental benefits; a fully remote role; and unlimited PTO.
Vesta is an Equal Opportunity Employer: We celebrate diversity and demand equal opportunity employment. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills- because reversing climate change is going to require a diverse and unprecedented workforce. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and a cover letter telling us more about yourself.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert