DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform entomological work on vector-borne disease outbreaks, vector-borne disease ecology and epidemiology.
- The work involves the development of an understanding of vector-borne disease, vector-borne disease ecology and epidemiology.
- Support coordination of vector control work in the Puerto Rico Department of Health and the Puerto Rico Vector Control Unit.
- Conduct minor design and systems analysis for the development of scientific models.
- Participate in the development of performance and testing requirements and protocols.
- Perform analysis of vector-related data.
- Provides technical assistance to PRDH and PRVCU in the implementation of dengue prevention and control program.
- Develop portions of technical presentations or documents.
- Assists in the assessment of the effects of control measures on vector populations.
- Conduct field work to collect, transport, and store host and vector samples for later laboratory analysis.
- Monitor changes in the distribution and density of the above organisms and investigate the potential causes for these changes.
- Contribute to the assessment of the ecological requirements of the dengue vectors.
- Apply the use of basic statistics.
- May use GIS software and other methods to map and model host, vector, and pathogen distribution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Entomology or a related field and minimum of five (5) years relevant experience.
- PhD or Masters preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have at least three (3) or more years of direct experience in entomology or medical entomology field.
- Must be able to manage data, perform experimental design, and conduct descriptive analyses.
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel and Access with strong skills with other Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint).
- Must have prior experience handling and blood-sampling.
- Must have strong problem-solving skills along with outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Must have an energetic team presence with an eagerness to learn and collaborate with other members of the team.
- Must be able to communicate in writing and verbally.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with GIS software.
- Knowledge and experience in vector-borne disease and mosquito control practices.
- Expert level entomology knowledge and experience is preferred.
- Must be able to pass a Federal Background Check.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder
The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is a fast-growing government service provider. Employees enjoy competitive salaries. Eligible employees enjoy a 401K plan with company match; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; tuition reimbursement; paid time off; and 11 paid holidays.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are proud to state that we do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. If you are a person with a disability and you need accommodation during the application process, please click here to request accommodation. We E-Verify all employees.
The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is comprised of industry-recognized government service firms designated as Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO)-owned and 8(a) certified businesses. The Family of Companies (FOCs) includes Ke`aki Technologies, Laulima Government Solutions, Kūpono Government Services, and Kapili Services, Po`okela Solutions, Kīkaha Solutions, LLC, and Pololei Solutions, LLC. Alaka`ina Foundation activities principally benefit the youth of Hawaii through charitable efforts which includes providing innovative educational programs that combine leadership, science & technology, and environmental stewardship.
For additional information, please visit www.alakainafoundation.com